Champ is usually a high GI treat, but here’s a version that makes a alternative for a low GI diet. Thanks to the Food Doctor for the inspiration.
- 1x400g (13oz) can butter beans drained and rinsed
- Vegetable stock to cover the beans
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 good sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 100g (3½oz) onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 25ml (1fl oz) water
- ¼ teaspoon soy sauce
- Put the beans in a saucepan and barely cover them with stock. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 – 10 minutes until the stock has been reduced to about 25ml.
- Mash the beans with a potato masher and then mix in the mustard and parsley. Leave to one side in a bowl.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and soften the onion over a low heat. Add the garlic and cook for another 1-2minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic to the bowl of mashed beans and mix well.