Sounds a bit odd, but tastes great and perfect if you have a wheat intolerance or are looking for a healthy, low GI style pizza (with a difference!).
Recipe from The Vital Nutrition Cookbook.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the base
- 1 cauliflower, broken into florets
- 100g cream cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- Black pepper
For the tomato sauce
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- A handful fresh basil, chopped
- Salt & black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Blitz the cauliflower in a food processor until powdery.
- Simmer in a pan of boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and leave to cool before wrapping in a clean tea towel and squeezing to wring out excess water.
- Place the cauliflower in a bowl and mix with the cream cheese and egg. Season well.
- With clean hands, divide the mixture into four portions and shape on the lined baking tray to make a 1-1½ cm thick pizza base.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until firm and golden.
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the garlic, chilli and tomatoes and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add fresh basil and blitz in your blender to make a smooth sauce.
- Add a dollop of the tomato sauce and toppings of your choice to the cauliflower pizza base.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.