An easy, low GI flapjack recipe that makes a perfect treat.
Recipe from The Vital Nutrition Cookbook.
Ingredients (makes about 25 bite-size pieces)
- 125g cranberries
- 175g chopped dates
- 200ml water
- 60g coconut butter
- 60g butter
- 3 tblsp maple syrup
- 250g porridge oats
- 2 tblsp desiccated coconut
- 3 tblsp seeds – sunflower, pumpkin and linseeds
You will need: a cake tin or baking tray approx 18cm x 18cm – lined with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Place the cranberries and dates in a small saucepan with the water and bring to the boil. Simmer gently until the fruit has softened and the water has soaked into the fruit, adding a little more water if you need to.
- In another pan, melt the coconut butter, butter and maple syrup together over a low heat.
- Mix the oats, coconut and seeds together in a large bowl, make a well in the middle and pour in the melted syrup and butter mixture. Stir in the softened dried fruit and mix well.
- Tip the mixture onto a lined baking tray, spread it out evenly and press down firmly with the back of a metal spoon or palette knife.
- Bake for about 25-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares. Once cooled, store in an airtight container.