Once again, the headlines are screaming out about the high levels of salt, sugar and saturated fats in processed foods. So?! Tell us something new.
The difference is that this time, these are foods that you are likely popping into your weekly shop thinking that you are providing your family with a healthy dinner. Dolmio sauce, pesto packs, macaroni cheese, Everyday essentials in plenty of family homes.
Recommendations for salt consumption stand at 6g a day for adults, but a recent study by CASH (Consensus Action on Salt and Health) revealed that your weekly shop now contains more salt than ever, with tinned tomato soup, cheddar cheese an chilled ready meals being the worst offenders. 3.5g salt in a serving of soup, packs in more than 50% of your daily allowance.
Isn’t it time we got back to basics on nutrition. little bit of time spent in your kitchen each week planning and preparing food will have massive consequences for your health.
- Spending just an hour or so each week peeling, chopping and batch cooking will take the chore out of mid-week mealtimes. Batch cooking grub like curry, chilli & bolognese, using fresh ingredients, replacing pasta sauce with tinned tomatoes or passata will provide a healthy menu of tasty foods.
- Take short cuts – have stock supply of frozen veg, make sauces in bulk and freeze them for another time, or use a slow cooker.
- Stirfries, soups and frittatas make a quick tasty and nutritious dinner.
- Roast dinner is one of the healthiest family meals out there, and one that the kids are guaranteed to enjoy. If you have any leftover meat from Sunday, use it as the base for a quick stir-fry for Monday night tea.
- Use spices and herbs for flavour instead of salt, and buy low salt soy sauce and stock cubes. No-one will notice the difference.
- Use ceramic non-stick pans, so you don’t need to use so much oil in cooking.
Remember, it is the small things that make a big difference and our health is determined by what’s in our shopping basket. So make healthy choices in the supermarket to eat your way to good health!