Eat More Fat!!!
Yes, you read that right! But I’ll say it again – eat more fat!!!
Over the years most of us have succumbed to the enticing promises of a low fat diet.
This has left us deficient in a nutrient that can help us to lower weight, balance cholesterol levels and promote healthy skin…. FAT!
Fat is just as essential in our diet as vitamin C, iron or selenium. As long as you are eating the right sort of fat that is…
Here’s Vital Nutrition’s Essential Fat Checklist – are you getting enough?
- Eat oily fish 3 x a week – that’s mackerel, herring, trout, sardines, pilchards & salmon. Fresh, frozen or tinned all count and will provide your diet with much needed omega 3 fats.
- Eat a handful of nuts and seeds every day – choose from almonds, hazelnuts, brazils, macadamia, pecans or walnuts. Sprinkle flaxseed, pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds onto cereals, add to yogurts or throw a handful into homemade wheaten bread for a delicious and nutritious crunch
- Look out for milled seeds, which are easy to use and can be easily added to porridge or weetabix for an extra nutritional punch at breakfast time.
- Use healthy nut butters on oatcakes for a healthy snack – look out for the brand names Biona or Meridian who produce no added sugar almond, hazel , brazil or walnut butter.
- Houmous is a great source of omega 6 fats as one of the essential ingredients in houmous is tahini – pulped sesame seeds ( a great calcium source too).
- Use coconut oil for cooking as it can be heated to a high temperature without the fats becoming damaged.
- A little butter goes a long way and is preferable to processed margarines and spreads
Did you know?…
The human body requires these essential fats to help us burn fat – one of the signs of a fat deficiency is difficulty losing weight – could this be your missing link?…